>

Buy Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007!

November 10, 2007

For faster service...please know why you are calling.

Why is it that so many people make telephone calls to service numbers without having an idea of the question they want to ask?

Not a day goes by where I don't get a call along the lines of

"Person X called and said that I can come pick up my computer."

Thats it, there is no question. Just a statement. What response do people expect when they say things like that. My usual answer is "OK." followed by an awkward pause. Eventually I will say "did you have a question?". On a good call I will get a reply of "Oh I just wanted to make sure it was ready" or "I just wanted to know what time you folks closed" those are questions that can be answered, and while I wish they would have started the conversation, its still OK because we are getting somewhere. However on a bad call, and by bad I mean most, the person simply repeats their statement. It's confusing.

It boggles my mind, that people pick up a phone and call people with no intended purpose. So here is my request. Before you call somone, or some place. Think to your self "what is it I want to ask" If you have nothing to ask, then you have no reason to call. Now, your question does not need to be specific (although it helps). Just a vague idea of your purpose for calling me and I can go from there and ask you questions to get the information I need to help you. I can understand maybe if you had a question, but after a 45 minute hold time you have forgotten it...but no customer who gets to my phone line is ever on hold for more than 5 minutes, and even that is rare so there really is no excuse.


As a side note:

Please don't ask me how I am doing if your intention is to not even pause for a response. Whats the point? I'm sure you don't give a crap about how my day is (why would you, we aren't friends or even know each other) so why pretend.

Bookmark this post:
StumpleUpon DiggIt! Del.icio.us Yahoo Technorati Reddit Google