Getting an office on the opposite end of a building tied into our network.
- 4 offices and an elevator separate our offices.
- No Easily accessible conduits to run cable
- Concrete/Steel construction makes wireless connectivity unstable
- Need a secure and relatively cheap solution
The Linksys Powerline Ethernet Adapter Kit worked perfectly. Because the two offices were on the same floor of the building, the offices were on the same electrical circuit. We plugged 1 adapter into an outlet near our switch and ran a cable from the switch to the adapter. We plugged the second adapter into an outlet in the second office and then ran a CAT5 cable from the adapter to a small switch and were able to connect A computer and network printer without any trouble.
- Ability to set a password/encryption key on the individual adapters to allow for multiple pairs to be run in a single environment without conflict, also provides security.
- Easy to set up
- speed of connectivity is great, throughput is great.
- Adapters are about $100 a piece, so price is a concern if using for something large scale.
- Adapters must be plugged directly into the wall (any time I tired a surge protector they wouldn't connect) so if they are sensitive to power surges, this can be bad.
Bookmark this post: